Monday, August 11, 2014

Comfort Food Favorites - Meatloaf

I find that the simple classics are usually the most difficult to convert to paleo. And that's really sad. I mean, isn't missing those dishes what make switching to paleo the hardest? You know, the down-home dishes that grandma used to make? For me one of those dishes was meatloaf. Meatloaf was one of my grandma's most often made dishes. It was quick and easy and my grandpa liked it, and he's pretty fussy. But now meatloaf is one of my favorite foods! It holds so much nostalgia for me, especially the caramelized ketchup on top! Mmmm... Takes me right back to her kitchen table! Anyway, I've finally been able to come up with a recipe that tastes awfully close hers! Caramelized ketchup and all!


Paleo Onion/Mushroom Meatloaf
2 lbs. hamburger
5 TBSP butter
1 1/4 c onion, finely chopped
1 1/4 c button mushrooms, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 1/2 TBSP coconut aminos
1/2 tsp onion powder (optional)
1 1/2 - 2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/2 c water
2 TBSP arrowroot
3 TBSP chestnut flour

Melt half of the butter in a medium saute pan before adding the onions and 1/2 tsp salt. Cook the onions over medium heat, stirring often, until they have softened. Add the rest of the butter, along with the mushrooms and 1/2 tsp salt and continue to cook until the mushrooms have softened and the onions are caramelized. Add the garlic and cook for 20-30 more seconds. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
In a large bowl combine the hamburger, onion/mushroom mixture (butter and all), coconut aminos, eggs, onion powder, and water and mix to combine. (I think it's easiest to use my hands to mix! My grandma always did!) Add the arrowroot and chestnut flour and mix again. Pat the meatloaf in a buttered 8"X8" pan and slather the top with plenty of ketchup. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour 10 minute, then shut the oven off and leave it in for another 10 minutes. Enjoy!


And the Bible verse of the week!

At once [Jesus] spoke to them, “Take courage,
it is I; do not be afraid.”
Peter said to him in reply, “Lord, if it is you,
command me to come to you on the water.”
He said, “Come.” Peter got out of the
boat and began to walk on the water toward Jesus.
But when he saw how [strong] the wind was he
became frightened; and, beginning to sink,
he cried out, “Lord, save me!”
Immediately Jesus stretched out his hand
and caught him, and said to him,
“O you of little faith, why did you doubt?”
Matthew 14:27-31

No comments:

Post a Comment