Monday, October 13, 2014

Wahwy's Pumpkin Muffins

There are some foods that if you close your eyes and and take a bite, you're transported to a different time and place. My Grandma's pumpkin muffins are that kind of food for me. Shortly after going grain-free I tried to make a grain-free version of them. They were okay, but definitely not flashback provoking. After that failed attempt I resigned myself to the fact that I would never enjoy one of those pumpkin and spicey, moist and lovely muffins ever again.
Well, recently I was really hungry for them so I decided to give them another shot. With much more grain-free baking experience under my belt I was hopeful that I could at least come closer to hers.
Oh my! I don't think I could get any closer! The taste AND texture are exactly like her pumpkin muffins! They are *slightly* denser than her's, but our batches of her recipe always were.

I hope you enjoy! I would love to hear how yours turn out!

Side note: From the time I was born, she called me her little peanut, so my mom teased her that we should call her Grandma Walnut. So when I was like a year old I tried to say "Grandma Walnut" but it came out "Wahwy" and the name stuck! (And she loved it!)

Wahwy's Pumpkin Muffins
12 dates, soaked in enough water to cover for 15 minutes
1/2 Tbsp water reserved from soaking the dates
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 cup pumpkin
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
4 eggs
1/4 cup coconut flour
2 Tbsp tapioca starch
3/4 cup chestnut flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp ginger
1/3 cup water
1 tsp baking soda

Place dates, water, coconut sugar, honey, pumpkin, and coconut oil in a blender and blend on high until smooth. Add the eggs one at a time, pulsing between each addition. Transfer the mixture to a the bowl of a stand mixer and the flours, starch, spices and salt. Mix thoroughly, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl at least once. Mix the baking soda and water together. Slowly add the water mixture while the mixer is running on low. Continue to mix on low for about 30 seconds before distributing between 16-18 lined muffin tins. Bake at 350 degrees for 22-27 minutes.


And the Bible verse of the week!

"The heavens declare the glory of God;
the firmament proclaims the works of his hands."
Psalm 19:2






No comments:

Post a Comment