Friday, May 11, 2012

Rhubarb Season

Keeping with the dessert theme for the week, and with it being rhubarb season and all, I thought I would share one of my family's favorite rhubarb recipes. 


Cream Cheese Rhubarb Squares
Crust
1/2 c butter
1/2 c oatmeal
1/2 c brown sugar
1 1/4 c flour
1/4 tsp cinnamon 
1/4 tsp nutmeg


Filling
1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese
3/4 c sugar 
1 egg 
2 c rhubarb, chopped very finely


Use your hands or a pastry blender to mix the crust ingredients together. Divide in half, pat half of the crust into an 8x8" square pan, set the other half aside.
With a hand mixer cream the cream cheese and sugar together. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Finally add the rhubarb and mix to combine. Pour the filling over the crust and sprinkle the reserved crust mixture over the top. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until the top begins to brown.

2 comments:

  1. I am going to try this with my next batch of rhubarb, sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it! Let me know how it turns out.

      Delete