Monday, May 21, 2012

Milk Crate Gardening 2

So this weekend I finally got my milk crate garden all filled up.
I added some different plants this year that I haven't grown before, and I can't wait to experiment with them!
I don't have pictures of everything, mostly just the new stuff.
Scented geranium and dianthus are on the left. On the right are coreopsis, and the flowers are edible.
I have never had scented geraniums before(I just learned about them, actually) so I can't wait to play around with those.

 Chocolate Mint(left) and Orange Mint (right) are both new additions.

 Sweet basil is a staple in my opinion. 
I started mine from seed. It's not quite ready for full sunlight yet, so we made a mini greenhouse out of an old juice jug. (Milk jugs work great too.)

Oregano is another staple for me. 
This happens to be Italian Oregano, which is a bit milder than its Greek cousin.

Lemon Thyme, one of  my favorites!

 Lavender - I have never grown lavender before - this fall I'm going to try to dry it and make sachets.  
Chervil is also a new one for me. It is sort of cross between tarragon and parsley.

Purple Sage, another one I am trying for the first time this year.

  Chamomile serves two purposes: It's a pretty flower and you can dry it and use it for tea.

Lastly Dill - these particular dill plants happen to have come from Great B's(my great grandma) house.
Dill is perfect in home-made ranch dressing!

For more about Great B and some of her recipes, see other posts: "Summer Is Just Around The Corner", "A Heavenly Dessert" and "Summer With A Cherry On Top". For my ranch dressing recipe see "Ranching Out".



No comments:

Post a Comment